Veterans Day 2017
On Friday, November 10, the library will close in observance of Veterans Day. Take time during this holiday to reflect on the reason.
We will reopen Saturday, November 11, for our regular hours.
Who do we honor on Veterans Day?
We are honoring all those who served honorably in the military whether in peace or in war. (Memorial Day honors those who died while in service.)
Why do we honor them on November 11?
On November 11, 1918, the armistice was signed between the Allied and Axis powers, thus ending the first world war. In the United States, Armistice Day changed its name to Veterans Day when the holiday was changed to honor all those that had served in the United States Armed Forces.
How can I honor those who served?
- There is a tradition of holding a moment of silence on the 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. In other words, 11:11 am on Saturday, November 11. Of course, feel free to also voice your appreciation to veterans.
- During the week of November 6th, the Santa Barbara community will he honoring local veterans with a number of events. Click here to learn about the scheduled events.
The SBCC Veterans Club is joining forces with the SBCC Neighbors Project, the SBCC Biology Club, and other community organizations to raise funds for cold weather gear for homeless veterans. By going to one of the following restaurants on a specific day and mentioning Blessed Bags when you go to pay, you will be getting a great meal and donating to our cause:
Participating Restaurants on Nov 11:
- PizzaRev: OPEN-CLOSE (Donating 20%)
- Chipotle (Paseo Nuevo only): 5PM-9PM (Donating 50%)
- Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co: OPEN-CLOSE. (Donating one dollar for every beer sold)
Participating Restaurants on Nov 12:
- Mesa Burger: OPEN-CLOSE (Donating 25%)
- The Lovin’ Spoonful: OPEN-CLOSE (Donating 15%)
- Sandbar: 8PM-CLOSE (Specials for the groups’ event)
For additional monetary and clothing donations contact: