Biology 102 – Barron
About this Guide
This research guide will help students locate appropriate resources for their Biology 102 Literature Search Assignments. Use the “tabs” above to navigate through the pages of this guide.
Not for your bibliography, but for background, definitions, facts and suggestions for further reading, you might want to consult one of the specialized reference books located in the Luria Library reference section:
- A Dictionary of Zoology R 590.3 A416d
- The Encyclopedia of Animals: A Complete Visual Guide R 590.3 C772e
- The Encyclopedia of Wild Life R 591.03 H286e
- Larousse Encyclopedia of the Animal World R 591.03 L332
- A Dictionary of Zoology R 591.03 L495d 1973
- Macmillan Illustrated Animal Encyclopedia R 591.03 W595m
- Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior R 591.51 B424e
- The Oxford Companion to Animal Behaviour R 591.51 M143o
- A Color Atlas of Dangerous Marine Animals R 591.69 H196c
- The Great Book of the Sea: A Complete Guide to Marine Life R 591.92 G935g
- An Atlas of Comparative Zooplankton: Biological Patterns in the Oceans R 592 S762c
- Guide to Identification of Marine and Estuarine Invertebrates; Cape Hatteras to the Bay of Fundy R 592.09 G676g
- Marine Invertebrates of the Pacific Northwest R 592.092632 K88m 1987
- Foraminiferal Genera and their Classification R 593.12 L825f
- A Dictionary of Entomology R 595.7 L495d
- Fishes of North America R 597 H531f
- The Fresh & Salt Water Fishes of the World R 597 M634f
- Fishes of the World: An Illustrated Dictionary R 597 W562f
- Encyclopedia of Fish R 597.003 B974e
- Encyclopedia of Fishes R 597.003 P342e
- Elsevier’s Dictionary of Herpetological and Related Terminology R 597.9 W273e
- The Encyclopedia of Snakes R 597.96 M444e
- The Bird Almanac: The Ultimate Guide to Essential Facts and Figures of the World’s Birds R 598.2 B618b
- The Birds of California: A Complete, Scientific and Popular Account of the 580 Species and Subspecies of Birds Found in the State R 598.2 D272bi
- Santa Barbara Shorebirds and Waterfowl: A Study Project R 598.2923 D723s
- Grzimek’s Encyclopedia of Mammals R 599 G895g
- The Encyclopedia of Mammals R 599 M135e
- Walker’s Mammals of the World R 599 W178m 1999
- Encyclopedia of Mammals R 599.003 B974e
- Encyclopedia of Marine Mammals R 599.5 P458e
Credo Reference includes hundreds of reference sources.
Books & Articles
Search the library catalog for information on your animal. For best results, use the Advanced Search feature. Choose “subject” from the drop down menus, then search using your animal’s scientific name, genus or phylum.
Search for articles in the periodical database:
During your search in the library databases, you can limit your results to scholarly, peer-reviewed journals. Just check the “scholarly (peer-reviewed) journals” box in the left-hand panel of your search results page.
Additional online scientific journals can be found here:
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- Highwire Press Journals
- PLOS (Public Library of Science) One is an international, peer-reviewed, open-access, online publication, with primary research from any scientific discipline.
Use Interlibrary Loan to request articles not available for free.
Interlibrary Loan is a free service for students. Students can request copies of articles or borrow books from another library. Students are advised to request loans early in the research process as loans can take three to ten days.
Finding good websites for college research can be challenging and time-consuming. Be sure to evaluate any websites you find on your own, using the P.R.O.V.E.N. Test for Evaluating Sources:
- Purpose: The reason the information exists
- Relevance: The importance of the information for your needs
- Objectivity: The reasonableness of the information
- Verifiability: The truthfulness and accuracy of the information
- Expertise: The source of the information
- Newness: The timeliness of the information
Academic Search Engines
Help with Writing
The following sites can help when it comes time to write your paper.
- About SBCC’s Writing Center
- The SBCC Learning Resource Center online writing tools Plan in advance for a one-on-one session with your rough draft.
- Writing Center Link Library
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab