English 100 – D. Starkey
About this guide
This guide provides students with recommended resources for conducting research in English 100 with Professor Starkey. Use the tabs to navigate through the pages of the guide.
In a discussion forum, find and quote from at least one more article on the current state and/or the future of the Republican party as you answer this question: What do Republicans have to do to capture the hearts and minds of Americans, in general, and Californians in particular?
If you type that sentence
Paper Writing Assistance
Need more help?
If you need more help with research, ask a librarian at any time! Stop by the Reference Desk, or contact a librarian by phone, text, or chat for more help. Find our contact information on the right side of this page.
Books are a good place to get background information on your topic.
Search the library catalog for your topic. To limit to books, choose the appropriate box from the menu to the left of your search results.
Search for articles in the following databases. These resources will require your Pipeline account information when you access them off campus.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCOhost) a multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles.
For information on both sides of a controversial issues, try searching this database:
Consider using this reliable website – Public Policy Institute of California – to learn more about issues in California in a non-biased way, including voter data and facts comparing political parties.
Searching for Websites on Your Own
Finding good websites for college research can be difficult and time-consuming. Use the C.A.R.S. system to evaluate any websites you find:
- Credibility: Is an author listed? What are the author’s credentials? Is there evidence of positive peer evaluation?
- Accuracy:Is the date of the site current? Is the information complete and not too vague? Does the author acknowledge all views?
- Reasonableness: Is the author fair and objective? Is the author concerned with the truth?
- Support:Does the author provide support for the information? Are the sources listed?