English 70 – O’Scanlon – And the Mountains Echoed
About this Guide
This guide provides students with recommended resources for conducting research on topics related to And the Mountains Echoed, by Khaled Hosseini.
Use the tabs above to navigate through the pages of the guide.
Research on a topic related to And the Mountains Echoed, by Khaled Hosseini. Before you start your research, do the online lesson, which includes a 7-minute video introduction to library resources and the library website, and a quiz about the video.
Paper Writing Assistance
Need More Help?
If you need more help with research, ask a librarian! Stop by the Reference Desk, or contact a librarian by phone, text, or chat for more help. Find our contact information on the right side of this page.
Sometimes the words you use to describe a topic are different from the words used by the library catalog and databases. If you have trouble finding information on your topic, ask a librarian for help choosing the best keywords to use in your search. Or, try some of the search words listed below.
Afghanistan description and travel
Afghanistan politics and government
Girls’ schools Afghanistan
Muslim pilgrims and pilgrimages
Women in Islam
Women Middle East
Print Reference Sources
Reference Books are a good place to begin your research. These resources are available in the Luria Library Reference section.
- The World Book Encyclopedia — R 031 W927b 2001
- Encyclopedia of the Modern Middle East and North Africa — R 956 M435e
Online Reference Sources
The library also subscribes to some online reference sources. To access these resources from off campus, you will need to log in with your Pipeline account information:
Search the library catalog (books+) for print books and ebooks on your topic. See the Keywords tab above for some words to try in your search.
Use one of the following databases to find articles from periodicals (newspapers, magazines, scholarly journals) about your topic. To access databases from off campus, you will need to log in with your Pipeline username and password.
- Academic Search Premier
For articles from periodicals (magazines, newspapers, and scholarly journals) in all subject areas.
- History Reference Center
Provides full text of books and periodicals (magazines, newspapers, and scholarly journals) about all time periods of U.S. and World History.
- Religion and Philosophy Collection
Provides articles from periodicals (magazines, newspapers, and scholarly journals) on topics such as world religions, religious history, and philosophy.
Figuring out whether the information you find online is credible enough for college research can be challenging. Use the P.R.O.V.E.N. Test for Evaluating Sources to determine whether the sources you find are credible:
- Purpose: The reason the information exists. Is the purpose to sell, to entertain, to inform, to teach, or to persuade? Do the authors and publishers/sponsors make their purposes clear? Is this source designed for general readers or academic readers?
- Relevance: The importance of the information for your needs. Does it relate to your topic? Does it meet the requirements of your assignment? Is it too basic or too advanced?
- Objectivity: The reasonableness of the information. Is it fact or opinion? Is it biased? Do the authors use strong or emotional language, or leave out important facts or alternative perspectives?
- Verifiability: The truthfulness and accuracy of the information. Where does the information come from? Can you verify it in other sources? Are there citations or links to other sources? What do experts say about the topic?
- Expertise: The source of the information. Who are the authors, publishers, or sponsors of the information? Are they experts, or has the information been reviewed by experts? Is it posted on a personal website or blog?
- Newness: The timeliness of the information. When was the information published or posted? Is it up to date? Is your topic in an area that requires current information (such as technology or current events), or will older sources work as well?
Consider starting with one of the recommended websites below: