Kinesiology Extra Credit Reading List
- The 12 Leadership Principles of Dean Smith – David Chadwick
A former player for Dean Smith, David Chadwick shows you why Coach Smith is college basketball’s winningest coach and so revered by everyone associated with the Carolina program. In my opinion, this book is better than Smith’s own memoir, A Coach’s Life.
- The Bowden Way – Bobby Bowden
Bobby Bowden shares a wealth of lessons and stories that he has experienced over the years as one of college football’s best coaches. Glean the wisdom that Coach Bowden has gained, sometimes the hard way as he admits.
- A Coach’s Life – Dean Smith
Call number: 796.323 S645K
- Everyone’s a Coach – Don Shula and Ken Blanchard
- Faith in the Game – Tom Osborne
- Game Plans for Success – Ray Didenger
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap… And Others Don’t – Jim Collins
Call number: 658 C712g
- High Hopes – Gary Barnett
Although this one is difficult to track down since it is out of print, High Hopes is required reading for anyone trying to turn around a struggling organization. Current Colorado football coach Barnett shares numerous ideas to help you take a team from ‘worst’ to ‘first’ as he did with Northwestern football.
- Joe Torre’s Ground Rules for Winners – Joe Torre
New York Yankees manager Joe Torre focuses on the people skills necessary to coach a wide variety of individuals. Torre’s chapters on communication are fantastic.
- Lead to Succeed – Rick Pitino
Coach Pitino nicely covers a variety of leadership lessons he has learned throughout the years of coaching. This book is especially great for anyone in a leadership position.
- Leadership is an Art – Max De Pree
Call number: 658.4092 D424l
- Leading with the Heart – Mike Krzyzewski
Coach K takes you inside Duke basketball and the strategies he has used to build basketball’s premiere program. A great follow up to this book is also Coach K’s Five-point Play.
- One Heartbeat – Mack Brown
- Reach for the Summitt – Pat Summitt
Coach Summitt details her Definite Dozen system that has helped her win six national championships at Tennessee. You’ll discover that not only is Coach Summitt tough, but she also has a tender side too.
- Sacred Hoops – Phil Jackson
Call number: 796.323 J13D
Nine-time NBA Champion Phil Jackson shares his unique coaching style in Sacred Hoops. The book reveals how Jackson was able to get superstars Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman to work together as a team.
- Success is a Choice – Rick Pitino
- Think Like a Champion – Mike Shanahan
Call number: 796.332092 S528t 1999
- Why We Win – Billy Packer and Roland Lazenby
CBS sportscaster Billy Packer interviewed such coaching legends as Joe Paterno, Dean Smith, Sparky Anderson, Pat Summitt, Bill Walsh, Tommy Lasorda, and many others. Get these coach’s ideas on winning, motivation, and team building.
- The Winner Within – Pat Riley
Call number: 658.4036 R573w
- Winning Every Day – Lou Holtz
- Wooden – John Wooden
Call number: 796.323 W886w
Legendary UCLA basketball Coach John Wooden shares hundreds of coaching pointers and gems in this great little book. Discover ways to build better people.