Resources for Culinary Arts and Hospitality Research
About this Guide
Students will find recommended print and electronic resources for research on Culinary Arts and Hospitality Topics.
Use the tabs above to navigate through the pages of this guide.
Need More Help?
Interested in learning more about the library on your own? Explore the library’s online tutorials.
The library subscribes to many online reference books which can provide background information about your topic. To access this resource from off campus, you will need to log in with your Pipeline account information:
- Credo Reference, a library of reference books online!
Journal and magazine articles usually provide the most current information on a topic. Journal articles are more scholarly while magazine articles tend to be shorter and more general. Newspaper articles are the most current of the three periodical sources and another good source of information.
To find articles on your topic, use one of the online databases listed below. To access this resource from off campus, you will need to log in with your Pipeline account information:
Search the library catalog (books+) for print books and ebooks on a topic or interest.
We have books about many different topics covered in Culinary and Hospitality courses, including:
- business plans
- personal chef businesses
- wine and beer
There is a HUGE collection of cookbooks in the Luria Library.
These include classic, new, and unusual titles. Browse the shelves to see what you can find.
Start at the number 641.5 or ask a librarian for help.
Suggest cookbooks or topics to add to our collection by contacting a librarian.
Can’t Get to Campus? Try eBooks!
Quality Internet Resources
Keep in mind, while you are searching, that there is a great deal of poor information online. Here are some quality websites you might want to examine.
Food and Beverage Industry
- Just Drinks contains global beverage industry news, market research, and analysis.
- Just Food contains global food industry news, market research, and analysis.
- How to Comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act is a guide for restaurants and other food service employers created by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Food and Nutrition Information
- Choose My Plate is a USDA food guidance system.
- Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Surveys contains data from the What We Eat in America (WWEIA) survey, the dietary intake component of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).
- Food Surveys Research Group monitors and assesses food consumption and related behavior of the U.S. population.
- Food FYI: National Food and Nutrition Information Center provides resources and links to information for a variety of foods and commodities, including many fruits and vegetables, grains, dried beans and lentils, eggs, nuts and seeds.
- USDA Food Composition Databases allows you to search over 8,000 foods, by food item, group, or list to find the nutrient information for your food items. In addition, you can now access the USDA Ground Beef Calculator from the same search page.
HospitalityNet provides industry news, job listings, and an index to other hospitality web sites.
Hotel Online is a news service for the hospitality industry. It includes news, discussion forums, employment opportunities, classified advertising, and information on product pricing and trends.
- American Culinary Federation is the official web site for the American Culinary Federation (ACF), Inc., a professional, not-for-profit organization for chefs and cooks, offering news and sources for professional development.
- American Hotel & Lodging Association an indispensable resource serving, supporting and advocating on behalf of the American hospitality industry.
- International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education offers information on programs in hotel and restaurant management, food-service management and culinary arts and helps students facilitate exchanges of information, ideas, research, training and resource development for the hospitality and tourism industry.
- National Restaurant Association offers career advice, information on training seminars, products, and research.
- Restaurant Report provides business news, feature articles, information on management issues, access to classified ads and suppliers of restaurant equipment, and contains a buyer’s guide.