Resources for Nursing Research
About this guide
This guide provides students with recommended resources for conducting research on topics related to Nursing. Use the tabs to navigate through the pages of the guide.
Paper Writing Assistance
Need more help?
Spring 2016 Survey
After the library research workshop for your class, please complete this survey to reflect on what you learned and provide feedback to the librarian (the CRN for your course is 61922).
Online Reference Databases
To access online library resources from off campus, enter your Pipeline username and password when prompted.
- Credo Reference contains the full text of nearly 600 encyclopedias, dictionaries, bilingual dictionaries, and other reference books covering all major subject areas.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library contains the full text of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources.
Reference Books on Nursing in the Library’s Collection
- Nursing Diagnosis Handbook: A Guide to Planning Care 2014 — 616.07 A182n 10th ed. (at reserves desk)
- Mastering Simulation: A Nurse’s Handbook for Success 2014 — ebook
- Nursing School Entrance Exams 2014 — 610.73076 K17n 2014
- NCLEX-RN 2014-2015: Strategies, Practice, & Review with Practice Test 2014 — 610.73076 I72n 2014
- Occupational Outlook Handbook 2014 — R 371.425 U58 2014
- Nurse’s Drug Handbook 2013 — R 615.1 P578n 2013
Use these recommended periodical databases to find articles on nursing and healthcare related topics. In order to access these databases from home you will need your pipeline id and password.
- ALT Healthwatch provides articles covering many perspectives on complementary, alternative, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness. Includes full text articles for more than 180 journals and reports, many of which are peer-reviewed. In addition, there are hundreds of pamphlets, booklets, special reports, original research and book excerpts. Includes abstracts of articles going back as far as 1984, and full text going back as far as 1990.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text is a comprehensive nursing and allied health research database, covering nursing, biomedicine, health sciences librarianship, alternative/complementary medicine, consumer health and 17 allied health disciplines. Provides full text for more than 770 journals and more than 275 books/monographs, and indexing for more than 4,600 journals. Contains more than 2.8 million records dating back to 1981, with full-text coverage dating back to 1937. Also offers access to health care books, nursing dissertations, selected conference proceedings, standards of practice, educational software, audiovisuals, and book chapters. Searchable cited references for more than 1,350 journals are also included. Explore CINAHL’s evidence based care sheets!
- Consumer Health Complete provides full text consumer-oriented health content, covering all areas of health and wellness from mainstream medicine to the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated medicine. Covers topics such as aging, cancer, diabetes, drugs and alcohol, fitness, nutrition and dietetics, children’s health, men and women’s health, etc. Features more than 700 physician-generated videos with full-text transcripts and 248 animations. Includes up-to-date, concise and clinically relevant drug monographs.
- Health Source– Consumer Edition contains nearly 80 full text, consumer health magazines, providing information on many health topics including the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine and general health.
- Health Source– Nursing/Academic Edition provides nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. Also includes the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names.
- MEDLINE includes citations and abstracts for journal articles in medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and the pre-clinical sciences. Some full text articles are available. Created by the National Library of Medicine.
- Health Resources searches the following EBSCOhost health, nursing, and medicine databases at once: Alt HealthWatch; CINAHL Plus with Full Text; Health Source – Consumer Edition; Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition; and MEDLINE.
The library subscribes to several magazines, some of which are related to nursing and health:
- University of California, Berkeley, Wellness Letter
- Perspectives in Biology and Medicine
- Nursing Research
- Nursing for Womens Health
- The Nursing Clinics of North America
- The Journal of Practical Nursing
Check out the library’s catalog to search the library’s entire collection.
Interlibrary Loan is a free service for students. Students can request copies of articles or borrow books from another library. Students are advised to request loans early in the research process as loans can take three to ten days.
Evaulate the Credibility of Health Websites
Explore Google Advanced Search
- Limit domains (.gov, .edu, .org)
- Explore other limits like file type (pdf)
- National Library of Medicine provides access to several databases, including resources about medications
- Fact Sheet: MEDLINE, PubMed, and PMC (PubMed Central) – How are they different?
- Centers for Disease Control also provides information for medical professionals about Seasonal Influenza (flu)
- Medical Library Association
- Open access journal articles from PLOS ONE
Links to APA citation format
American Psychological Association (APA) citation style is most typically used when writing papers in the social sciences.
- Electronic Materials – APA
- Books – APA
- Periodicals – APA
- In-text Citations (basics) – APA
- In-text Citations (authors) – APA
- Camosun College Guide – APA
- Sample Paper – APA