Foreword

Foreword

In 1951 when a 25-year-old Henry Bagish was hired as one of the first full-time instructors at the infant Santa Barbara Junior College located in downtown Santa Barbara, enrollment was 162 students and the entire class schedule consisted of three pages. During the course of his fifty-year career, the college relocated twice and expanded. With the West Campus, enrollment increased a hundredfold, entire new disciplines emerged and student services were dramatically expanded.

While the college will continue to evolve, it will never experience this kind of transformation again. The goal of the Legacy Project is to create a first-person history of the college during this period to preserve an institutional record of the dramatic changes that occurred. The site will feature the memoirs of people associated with the college, both written and through videos, through the decades that bridged the reestablishment of Santa Barbara Junior College in 1947 and the new century.

The Legacy Project leads off with a succinct history of the college by Kathryn “Kay” Alexander, who served on the Board of Trustees for 45 years, and the memoir of Robert “Bob” Casier, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, and recipient of the first Faculty Lecturer award.  We are also pleased to include the memoirs of such early luminaires as Sam Wake, the godfather of SBCC Adult Education, and Professor Bagish.

The web site also will include all past issues of the SBCC Channels, the college student newspaper.  Over the years, the student journalists and photographers have richly documented the essence of college events and student life.

The Legacy Project is a work in progress. The pieces that appear are not necessarily final drafts and may be modified over time.  We also hope to add new memoirs and videos by others as they reflect on their association with SBCC. We invite new submissions and anyone associated with the college during this period who is interested in participating in this project should contact the Office of Communications at (805) 730-4107.

We gratefully acknowledge the initial vision and ongoing support of Adjunct Faculty Fred Hofmann, President Emeritus Peter MacDougall, and Dean of Educational Programs Kenley Neufeld in this effort.