Interlibrary loan is a service to students and faculty that provides resources not available in the Luria Library. View our lending policy for full details. This service is free, but you are limited to 20 requests per academic year. The final day to request materials is the Friday two weeks before the end of the semester. Average turnaround time to receive requested materials from interlibrary loan can take 3-7 business days – interlibrary loans for books usually take longer than articles. Please plan accordingly.
How to request items through interlibrary loan:
1. Search for the item you want in the library catalog (books+). It’s important to use quotation marks around the title of your item when you type your search.
2. If you are unable to find your item then proceed to step 3 to request an interlibrary loan.
3. Adjust your item search to libraries outside of Santa Barbara City College.
- Deselect the checkbox next to Santa Barbara City College and select the checkbox next to Libraries Worldwide located on the left panel.
4. Once you locate your item, select the item image or title.
5. Check if the item is accessible/available online
- If the item is available online, then there will be an option for “View full text” or “View ebook”
- If View full text or View ebook options are available you may select them to access the item online; you do not need to request an interlibrary loan.
- If View full text or View ebook options do not appear, continue to request your item through interlibrary loan by selecting the Request Item button
- You cannot use interlibrary loan to request the print version of an item that is available through SBCC electronically
- Other libraries do not share ebooks
Notes about interlibrary loan:
6. Fill out the request form and press the Submit button to complete your request.
Contact Us if You Need Help
If you need help, please use the chat box to the right or call the reference desk at 805-730-4444. If you can’t find the article or book, please email (using your Pipeline account) the request to email@example.com and include a full citation of the needed material.
A note about Interlibrary Loan Fines: For returnable items, such as books, there is a $1.00 per day charge for late items, up to a total of $24.00. This is in addition to any fees charged by the lending library.