English 110 - Monda - Research Resources
From Luria Library
About this Resource
Students will find recommended print and electronic sources for students to conduct research resources for Research Papers 2 and 4.
- Class: ENGLISH 110
- Instructor: Kim Monda
- Assignment: Research papers on a social issue (local, national, or global) of your choice.
The short paper, 4 pages, defines the social problem and its causes, as well as begins to explore its consequences. The expanded paper, 7-8 pages, adds more on consequences and addresses possible responses or solutions.
The topic should be one that really interests you, one that allows you to draw upon a range of sources, and one that can be explored in a paper of just 7 to 8 pages in length. Also, you will need to develop an argument or interpretation rather than simply present information from your sources.
Narrowing a topic, and finding keywords and subject headings
These resources are available in the Luria Library Reference section.
- The official guide to American attitudes: who thinks what about the issues that shape our lives R 303.380973 M682o
- Violence in America : an encyclopedia R 303.6 G685v
- Protest, power, and change : an encyclopedia of nonviolent action from ACT-UP to women's suffrage R 303.61 P888p
- Encyclopedia of racism in the United States R 305.800973 M663e
- Encyclopedia of social issues R 306.0973 R 845e
- Encyclopedia of contemporary American social issues R306.0973 S528e
- Social history of the United States 306.0973 W186e
- American countercultures : an encyclopedia of nonconformists, alternative lifestyles, and radical ideas in U.S. history R 306.1 M678a
- Encyclopedia of Politics R 320.03 C283e
- Encyclopedia of social problems R 361.1 P261e
- Encyclopedia of crime and punishment R 364.03 L665e
- Encyclopedia of gangs R 364.1066 K82e
- Dictionary of American history R 973.03 A194d 2003
Finding books on your subject
Search the library catalog for books you can check out on your topic.
Select "Books" under Format.
Find articles from periodical databases
Search your topic in
Search for current event articles in this database of one periodical title:
Search for newspaper articles in
Other databases you can search within
A full list of library databases
The library recommends this database for more resources, including articles, broadcast, reference books:
Podcasts of interview-based radio shows
Sources of quality internet sites
Finding good websites for college research can be difficult and time-consuming. Below are some recommendations for finding quality websites.
Search engines which offer results reviewed by others:
Lists of social topics and a few good websites for each:
Sources of academic websites
The C.A.R.S. system explained here.